Wednesday, September 15, 2010

New taste to my tastebuds

I've tried a few new flavas while over here on the island.  First on Monday at FHE I had otai.  Otai is a Tongan drink made of grated watermelon, milk, and sugar.  It was flavorful, a little chunky, and you had to watch out for the seeds.  Spam is really, really, really popular over here and it comes in different flavors, which is new to me.  Everyone was saying how much they LOVE to eat musubi.  So me and my roommate, Angie, set out to try some.  We went to the local FoodLand and got some at the deli.  This poly kid came up and was saying he just got back to Hawaii and had been craving this for a long.  He said soon I'll be craving it too....  This is what musubi looks like:

It is sticky rice, a piece of spam, then a piece of seaweed holds it all together.  Tasty huh?!  I gave it a good effort though.  The seaweed was a bit smelly and such so I only took one bite with the seaweed, then I took it off.  It ended up being fine, though I probably won't be craving it anytime soon.  We'll see though.
Me and a boy from my singles ward back at Highland, Zack, tried these noodles together. at a luau the school put on for the new kids.  They are those translucent, slimy ones.  I've seen them before, but I don't think I'd ever tried them.  So we gave them a solid effort!  The taste was fine, not so sure I was a fan of the texture.

The best thing that I have tried as of late though was an acai bowl.  I'm not completely sure what acai is, I think it is a fruit that is really healthy for you.  In the acai bowl they make a smoothie out of the acai fruit (it was like a purpleish color.  Then on top of that they put granola, honey, and bananas (I added the strawberries :)).  It was delicious!  I really liked it.  And it came in a HUGE bowl.

We got the acai bowls here:
This is Waimea Beach.  Beautiful.  We took "The Bus" over to it on Monday.  It was about a 30 min drive or so, but would probably only be 10 min in a car.  We got there a little later in the evening so we just watched the sun set.  There were two monks there standing by us.  They were doing all these movements and things towards the sun, it was interesting to watch.  There is a big rock over there too that a lot of people jump off of.  I don't think I'll do any jumping while I am here though...a bit scary for me.  "The Bus" doesn't really stick to its schedule very much so we waited a while for it to come and pick us up.  Then we were at the stop at Turtle Bay and the driver got off the bus and we didn't see him again for a good twenty min!  Who knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment