As part of the new student orientation, we could pay ten bucks to go on the Circle Island Tour! So last Saturday we boarded the buses to see the island! I sat by the girl I have hula with. Her name is Ali too and she is also from Highland. She went to AF and graduated a year ahead of me, but we are good pals now! It is kinda fun to have a friend with your same name! I have never had that before. All day on the tour and meeting new people would ask our names I would say, "Ali" then she would say "Ali", then they would ask where we are from and I would say, "Highland" and then the other Ali would say "Highland". It is like I have a twin! We also finally met boys who aren't freshman! I had felt like I had only met freshman boys here and I just felt like their older sister. Even though I am only a year, almost two years older than some of them, I just feel quite the maturity difference between us! So it was nice to hang out with some RM's!
Our first stop was at a The Valley of the Temples. It was a really pretty, peaceful memorial ground. The Byodo-in Temple was also there. It was built it 1968 to commemorate the first Japanese immigrants to come to Hawaii. And no nails were used to build it! There is also a HUGE, 3 ton bell there that has a calm ring. When you "dong" it, it clears the mind of evil and temptation.
Then we went to the Swap Meet! It was GIANT! It wrapped around a whole stadium, I am pretty sure we only got through one tenth of it. I got some yummy pineapple of course :) and a Pu'a skirt for my hula class. We all agreed we will head back over in December to pick up all our Christmas gifts. There is a purse that was so cute that I wanted, I didn't get it, but I am still thinking about it which means I should go back and get it, yeah?
Next stop was Pearl Harbor. We had ticketed times to go on the boat to go see the Arizona Memorial and missed it by a few minutes. But this nice old man who worked there just told us to walk through his gate and he won't look at the time and let us on. I felt like a not very good American citizen because I did not quite know all the facts of what happened at on Dec. 7. Everyone just kept saying, "Well haven't you seen the movie Pearl Harbor?" And no I have not, so I will put that on the list. When we were at the Arizona Memorial, I got teary looking at all the names on the wall of heroic people whose final resting place in inside the Arizona. I also thought it was neat to see the names of the people who were on the Arizona and survived, but after their passing they were buried with their fellowmen in the water covered Arizona. We watched a little bit of a video and that taught me a lot of what happened there. I wish we could have spent more time there, but we had to be off.
Next stop was glorious Wal-Mart! I stocked up on everything I can't buy at our Laie Foodland. And I bought a box of cereal for the regular price of 3 dollars instead of the over priced 7 dollars at Foodland. Very productive trip to WallyWorld.
After that we went to Haleiwa and got shaved ice at Matsumoto. It is a really famous place over in this neck of the woods. Tom Hanks, Jack Johnson, and David Archuleta have all made their appearances here. I shared one with a boy named Shon. I had seen in a couple places over here that have a "red bean" add in. I asked the worker what exactly that was. So they just boil the beans in sugar water and put that at the bottom of the shaved ice (I think it is an Asian thing). Anyway I decided why not try it! We got the Matsumoto flavor (because that is what David Archuleta got) with the added red beans. This is what our yummy shaved ice looked like:
This is after a few bites and we got to the beans:
Yuck! We were definitely not fans of the beans. If you ever have the opportunity to try shaved ice with sugared beans, don't. I tried it for you and I am pretty sure you won't like it.
We headed back to campus after this and I had to carry all my groceries home. My arms were weighed down with laundry detergent and cookware(I bought myself a plate, bowl, and utensils. I keep them in my room and I know that they are clean. I know I am really OCD, kinda embarrassing, but it makes me feel better.) But my arms were a little sore after making the trip back to Iosepa (I learned early it is pronounced "Yo sepa") Street.
PS: As I was typing this in my living room, a geco was crawling across the wall in front of me. But I heard they eat the bugs!
Alla! First off; can't believe someone would ruin shaved ice by putting beans in it. Yuck! And secondly, I love Auntie Sha. What a kick. Can't wait to shake my hips with ya sista :) Love you!
ReplyDelete