I actually did it. I actually made it to BYU Hawaii. There was times when I thought it would never happen, but my dream/life goal came true! I'm here! It wasn't the easiest process though. Housing for one thing was a nightmare. BYUH admitted a surplus of freshman(I'm a transfer, so I don't fit into that category) so needless to say the island isn't big enough to house all the students. I was hoping to get into the dorms, Hales (pronounced hal-ay) but in July I received a letter notifying me I was whopping 131 on the waiting list. The search for off campus housing began and I could find nothing. Everyone I talked to said they had been full since April. I was calling many a Hawaiians and faculty and wasn't getting very comforting answers. There were many times I thought I wasn't going to be able to come because I couldn't find anywhere to live. I was getting disappointed thinking the one reason that is holding me back from living my dream is housing. I thought I had found some and I expedited my deposit to the land lord ($18 bucks to expedite the dang thing) then I received a call from her a few hours after I left the post office letting me know someone else just took the spot. BUT, I finally received a call from Ken Orton. (I had spoken with him about some of his housing earlier, but he was full and said he will try to find me a spot). He told me about an opening he had and I just automatically said "Yes! I'll take it!" and I sent my deposit and two months rent to him the next day.
After leaping for joy that I finally found housing, I got a little bit of an iffy text from Ken. It was 5 pages long and he was talking about BYUH putting executives in his housing. He said that family has the right to live in his housing and he thought I was related to him and he needed my information ASAP, including my mom's maiden name. I showed it to my parents and my dad is asking me if this Ken is real and is thinking I just got scammed. He was surprised I didn't check the guy out to make sure he was legit before I sent my deposit, but that thought didn't cross my mind. Long story short my mom calls BYUH and speaks with someone, finds out everything is okay and that Ken is a legit guy. She did a little google search on Ken Orton though(feel free to google him yourself) and found a news article about him with a mug shot. Yeah, no worries my land lord shot his son, didn't kill him, but still I said SHOT. Sooo I get a little freak out about that, but I just decide to roll with it. (After getting to his housing I find out it really did happen so I need to pay rent on time or else... :) I talked to his wife though and I guess he is blind and has a hard time walking. Maybe he got the gun confused with his hair brush?
So I squeeze all my belongings (actually my dear mother did most of the squeezing for me) I will need for 3 months into 2 suitcases and headed out to catch my flight at 11:40am on Sept 8th. I got a little teary saying bye to my parents and my niece, but I gave my last wave and headed out to Gate D1. (Oh I went through really weird security. I had to stand in this tube thing and put my hands above my head. I guess it took a picture/or scan. Who knows. I felt violated.) I sat in the window next to this grandpa(early sixties maybe) who was going on vacation with his grandkids. When he asked if I was alone I almost burst into tears when I had to reply "Yes, I am all alone." Real sad moment. The stewardist thought I was his daughter and about complimented him on what a polite girl I was, with big eyes and a pretty smile. But I had to also tell her I was flying solo and almost started to cry again. Take off was yucky..like normal--really hot, nausea feelings etc. After that though it was great! I had a personal TV and watched Back up Plan, Letters to Juliet, and Just Wright. I started Robin Hood, but then ended it in the opening seen, I thought I should do it justice and watch in a screen that is bigger than 5 inches.
When I came to Maui with the fam last year, we arrived in paradise after the sun went down so we couldn't see anything we we landed. This time though I saw everything! It was gorgeous! The water looked so pretty and I swear I saw a really big sea urchin, maybe a whale? Shark? After heaving my luggage off the carousal, I walked outside to Terminal E to find the Coconut Express(BYUH shuttle that picks you up). I flagged it down and rode with 4 other students. 3 were returning students and the other was a freshman from Utah. The 3 experienced ones told us about everything and gave us some good pointers. I felt a lot better after riding with them. I didn't feel quite so alone like I did on the airplane.
No comments:
Post a Comment