I started up school :) I've been in class for a week and a half. I was so used to just being lazy and playing in the beach, then suddenly school started and I realized I had to actually do homework while I'm in Hawaii, blah. But I am going to try really hard to still go to the beach a couple of times a week! I won't always get to live by a gorgeous beach so I need to take advantage! I am in a hula class which has been so fun! My teacher is a Hawaiian grandma, we call her Auntie Sha. (In Hawaii, people who are older than you call Auntie and Uncle, but only if they invite you to call them that.) She is a funny, nice lady. She gave us her cell number and told us to put it in our phones in case we ever get stranded on this island. She said she would much rather have us sleep on her living room floor than on a bus stop bench. She said "you just give me a call and tell me where you are and Auntie Sha will be on her way to get you." Really sweet. (Everyone here is Hawaii though is nice like that. When I was helping at the PCC, the guy in charge of it all told us to call him if we ever didn't have food and he would make sure he found us some.) Anyway me and another girl stand in the front and just laugh our heads off at each other in hula. The first day Auntie Sha turns to the girl next to me and says, "What is going on over there sister?" Auntie Sha just makes fun of us the whole time. None of us know what we are doing. The movement all has to do with shifting the weight in your knees. You are squatting/bending you knees the entire time and it tires me out! I need to work out my quad muscles! I was just barely getting down the foot work and then she added hand movements and words, which makes for a mess ha! Needless to say I am going to be practicing this weekend :)
I am in a Hawaiian Studies class as well, which I am really excited about. Between that and hula, I've learned a bunch of stuff about Hawaii! *Here is a fun fact: 48% of the student population here is from over 70 different countries! Then I am in volleyball, New Testament, Foundations of Education, and Teaching Special Needs. My SPED class teacher is a bit intimidating and she just came over here from teaching at George Washington. After realizing she isn't teaching at a grad school, she decided to slow everything down a bit.
For volleyball we have to check out clothes. They are just tee shirts and basketball shorts, but if you go swimming you have to check out a suit. And then they encourage you to wear a shirt and tee shirt over that. I am still getting used to this Honor Code thing...
I got a bike finally! My roommate had two bikes for some reason so I convinced her to let me have it for $45. We have a class together though and after the first couple of days she said if I just help her pass the class I can use the bike for free! Deal! A boy named JJ saw me riding it and said I was definitely needing some air in my tires. He filled up them up and it felt like a new bike and I didn't have to pedal so hard! The gears are rusty and things so I don't change them all that much for safety purposes. Everything in Hawaii rusts though really fast because of the weather. I ride my bike when I am wearing a skirt sometimes, I don't know if that is modest, but I try to hold it down the best I can.
Up on campus this last week they were trimming the trees that look like coconut trees, but there isn't any coconut on them. They were using those trucks with ladders at the back of them to trim the big leaves off. They had to detour the students though around them because if one of those leaves fell on you, you'd be knocked out!
Everyone in Laie has pretty low key houses, but they all have the NICEST cars. Like big nice SUV's.
No comments:
Post a Comment