1. I went surfing. Or rather I attempted/tried/put forth a good effort. We went with Gid(Giddion), Morgan(who is a guy), and Ski. Ski was my instructor. Surfing is SO hard! Paddling out to the waves was an actual joke for me. Holy cow was that hard. I was using muscles that I guarantee have never been used. I felt like I was even getting anywhere either and the waves were just pushing me back in. Ski was really really nice though and he would always give me a good push to help me out. I was just kept saying, "Ski, I'm dying. My arms are going to fall off." Anyway when we finally get out to the waves (which we were at the beach Castles and not like I'm an expert on waves or anything, but they weren't the best and also it was super shallow. But I was okay with that since I can't swim. But at the same time I wasn't okay with that because sand wasn't below us...it was sharp reef.) Back to surfing and a really embarrassing moment was when I realized pretty much my whole top piece of my swimming suit wasn't even on. Yeah. Really embarrassing. Then I got mad at Ski and told him he should have warned us and told us to wear something else. Like I didn't even know I wasn't covered, I was just concentrated on the paddling. Super embarrassing. Then I had Ski hold my board while I tied my swim top EXTRA tight. Ugh. So then the waves started coming and I would take one, try to stand, then just scream and fall off. I didn't have a "leash" on my board so usually it would got flying and I would have to swim to go get it and then paddle back out. Big bummer. Ski wanted to try a different spot with me so he just got on the board and paddled me in :). But I ended up just paddling back out to where everyone was. By that time though I was of course getting a wee bit motion sickness, so I tried to ride one more, then just took it in. Overall I surfing is really hard but I would try it again and just take Dramamine before :) And also wear a shirt over my swimming suit. Oh a really big bummer about surfing: when we went back to the cars, Ski and Morg's phones got stolen. Lame Hawaii stealers.
After surfing we went and got tacos at the "Taco Truck". It literally is an ice cream truck, but with tacos. It was really really yummy. I can't remember the Spanish word, but they put pineapple on a skewer and then all the drippings go on top of the pork. Yum.
After I showered from surfing I had the biggest bruises on my arms. It looked like I had just given blood or got beaten up really bad.
2. I went to Sunset Beach and watched the sunset. Very appropriate activity. Can't even describe the beauty. A Mazing.
3. I went to Ted's Bakery and got their famous pie. Really good coconut, chocolate stuff. Mmm! We just got a whole pie and split it. We had an extra piece that no one could shove down so we were really nice and offered it to another customer :)
4. I hiked to Laie Falls. Gorgeous. It had some super pretty outlooks at some points like this one:
| Oliva(other Ali's roommate), me, Kayli, other Ali, Taylor, and Morgan |
The pine trees here are so cool by the way. I really love them. I think they might be my favorite plant here.
In one spot there was so many dead pine tree needles it looked like it had snowed/a scene from Narnia. We went through some many different types of plant life I feel. At one spot it was super, super dense trail of strawberry guava trees. Their bark is really pretty too, it has a more red color too it. But oh my goodness there were hoards of gnats in those things! I don't know how many bugs I swallowed while I went running through them with my face under my shirt. Yucky. You could feel yourself being clobbered by them. The other Ali was hating it. And we all just laughed at here. We tried the strawberry guava though and it was tasty. Taylor loved it and packed a whole bag full of them home.
When we got to the falls(which ended up just being a light "trickle" of water) we took a nice little swim in the murky water.
These are taro fields FYI. Taro is really popular over in these neck of the woods. It is grown in ponds of water. Taro also has a lot of symbolic meaning for the Hawaiian people. It has two main stems and then off of those there are little baby ones (like a mom, dad, and kids) it growing period is 9 months (like a baby) it repels water (like skin) and when you cut the stem its juicy stuff is red (like human blood).
No comments:
Post a Comment