Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Intermurals and Shrimp and Asians

I've never played intermurals sports before, actually I've never really played sports before, (and ps to that: that is the one thing I regret in my life is not being on an athletic team.  Everyone plays serious sports here and I wish I could play with them).  But I decided I could take on badminton, because everyone can play that right?  Nate was my teammate and the first night we won and then moved on to the next bracket the next night.  Nate did all the work and ran around the court.  I just told him "Keep it up!"  and "You got this Nate!"  The second night though, Nate really wanted us to be serious about things so I cut a piece of my pillowcase to make us headbands.  You have to get resourceful out here.  Anyway the headbands seemed to be good luck to us for the first match and we won, but then we got bracketed up with a girl who played professional badminton in high school and then her partner was an Asian who is the badminton club president.  Basically we had no chance.  And that was the end of my badminton career.

One of the "to-do's" on my bucket list here was to venture to a shrimp stand.  We went to Giovannis and got shrimp scampi.  It was a wee bit on the expensive side, like one dollar for each shrimp.  But I have to say it was pretty dang delicious.  We didn't know we had to de-shell the shrimp though, so the first bite was crunchy.  Also I didn't know shrimp had heads.  But now I do.

One of my roommates, Kyomi who is from Japan, is cracking me up lately. First off I walked into the kitchen one day and watched her throw a kitchen knife into the garbage can.  I was like "Kyomi, you just threw a knife in the trash."  She went off on some gibberish about being tired and such.  Anyway I point it out to Kau'i when I see a cup and plate in the garbage and she was not going to stand for that.  She told her how we don't need to be throwing away dishes unless there is a cleaning check or something.  But it didn't really help and Kyomi would throw anything away that was in the sink.  I think one day a rice cooker was in the garbage.  This really didn't affect me though since I keep my own dishes and silverware in my room :) 

Me and Kyomi at FoodFest

I also walked out one morning to see a trail of dish washing soap outlining the sink and drying rack.  Kyomi thought it would keep the ants away, almost like a fence.  The other day she trapped an ant inside a circle of water on the counter and we watched it try to find it way out....

Kyomi was frying some shrimp and veggies, but the oil kept hitter her so she put her jacket on backwards and her sun glasses for protection

No comments:

Post a Comment