After shoving the last tidbits into my bag and trying to weigh my luggage on a scale that was in kilos, I was packed to go. Gid and Ski came and picked me up and they both brought me a lei. I said goodbye to the roommates and they screamed goodbye as I drove away. Gid took me up to the Little Circle on campus and dumped me off with my stuff then went to go get Kayli. When they drove away to go get her, quiet tears started to roll down my cheeks. Then I called me mom and started really crying. I really didn't want to leave.
Gid and Ski hung out with us up there until we loaded the bus to take us to the airport. When I said goodbye to them, me and Kayli just let the tears flow and I think Gid got a wee teary too. I loved those guys. They were always so nice and such good friends to me while I was there. Gid would do anything for me. Me and Kayle waived goodbye, then the sobs started coming. Everyone else who was on the bus was coming back so they probably thought we were pretty silly girls.
We cried as we talked about all the things we had learned while were there. The people we met. How proud we were of ourselves for going out there all by ourselves. For not ever having to worry about what we look like, because people just don't judge you like that there. How we didn't want to come back to the stressful and busy life of Utah, where people just do things for themselves. How people have had to sacrifice so much more than I ever have had and how people come from difficult backgrounds.
Hawaii was so beautiful and I loved the drive to the airport, as I looked out on the ocean one last time and out the other window to the lush, green mountains.
Kayli was on a different airline than me so we had to part sadly. I weighed by bags and one was 51 the other 47. So I switched my umbrella from the 51 pound bag one and that took it down to 50. Few. I waited at the airport for 4 hours, just killing time while I waited for my plane to leave. L. Tom Perry was on my flight, he had just spoken at graduation that morning. Before we boarded lots of students went and got pictures with him. I passed him in the aisle as I walked to my seat and he said something like, "You ready to go?" and I said "Yep, I'm heading home." And that was that :) When the plane took off a few tears might have rolled down my cheek.
FYI, I had to fly home in cut off exercise pants because I didn't pack any long pants.
The flight was a red eye and sleep just wasn't coming too good for me. I turned on a movie at like 4am I think. When they told us we were getting ready to land, I opened my window to a dark sky and a blizzard of snow. A tear ran down my cheek again. It was exciting to be home, but I really struggled with leaving Hawaii. I sort of have put on a face about being home, but I knew it would be like that and I knew I couldn't stay in Hawaii forever.
I will miss:
-Theresa: A really determined girl. She is independent and stands by what she believes. Never complains, even when she was in a lot of pain.
-Fay: Her laugh is contagious. She could always have me laughing.
-Kau'i: Keeps a postive outlook even when things are crappy. Doesn't want people to feel bad for her. She tried to teach me how to say Tonga without the "n" sound cause that is how you say it. She'd make jokes about me being haole. She made me laugh a lot.
-Jess: Whenever you asked how she was she would say "wonderful!, how about you?"
-Kiyomi: taught me a lot about Japanese culture. Would ask me what certain English words meant like "stud"
-Yasuko: Always cheerful and smiling
-Beth: Funny girl too, we'd have funny conversations. She is going into El Ed too.
-Shell: Most motivated, determined person I have known. She would go and no sugar weeks and do it like it was cake! She was so dedicated to school and wants to do well. She would do anything I wanted since I wasn't always going to be in Hawaii. Favorite word is "ill".
No comments:
Post a Comment